Saturday, February 05, 2005

Minor headaches is all...

OK. First let me describe my setup:

  • Dell Inspiron 8200
  • 30 GB Hard Drive
  • TrueMobile 1180 Wireless NIC (mini-PCI)
  • 32 MB NVidia GeForce2Go
  • integrated audio, eth0, firewire, USB, modem

My hard drive has partitions of 12, 8, and 12 GB formatted as NTFS, FAT32, and ext3. I dual-boot Windows XP Pro and Linux. My previous Linux distro was Fedora Core 2. My reason for changing is that I'm considering putting Debian on one of the servers at work and wanted to get familiar with a Debian-based distro before trying that.

On to the install process. First I installed Windows, then Ubuntu. The installer was a little bit of a let down for one who is used to RH/FC and Suse installers. No flashy GUI--everything is console text. The process went smoothly, there aren't nearly as many annoying questions about packages, locale, etc. When the installer finished it automatically updated as many packages as it could from Ubuntu's apt repository.

After rebooting, gdm came up and I was able to log in. It was immediately clear that su didn't work like I was accustomed to, but I was still able to do things as the superuser with sudo.

Right off the bat, I noticed that several things didn't work by default:

  • wireless NIC
  • sound
  • no 3D video acceleration
  • CDs don't play
The following posts will document my struggles with these.

1 Comments:

At June 28, 2005 at 2:41 PM, Blogger dan said...

thats odd, because i had everything sans 3d accelration working right off the bat.

i'm running a similar inspiron system, except with a 40gig hd and a geforce 440.

i was amazed that my truemobile 1150 picked up our wap right away, just had to set the ip address stuff and i was flying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home